Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Kids Say the Darndest Things

My oldest son has an incredible memory, even when you don’t think he is listening. When asked to sing a song during testing for entrance into kindergarten, he sang all the verses of Arthur Fhardy’s Yodeling Party, to my embarrassment because he had heard it from me as a joke. Why couldn’t he have sung one of his Sunday school songs that he sings every week, that would have kept me out of trouble. On another occasion, we were waiting in the check out line at Target when we heard a loud noise. He responded by saying loudly "that sounded like a"..., my words, a bodily function of a relative. Once again I was in trouble.

Yesterday he went to the Discovery Center with his class. Last night, as he lay in bed, I asked how his day went. He described all that he had done. He was particularly fascinated by having his height measured. He told me that they used a tape, then he paused and said, “I don’t think they would have enough tape to measure Doug TenNapel”. He’s met Doug once. Whenever we tell stories of giants, he asks about Doug.

No comments: